[HTTPS-E Rulesets] HTTPS Everywhere 3.5, 4.0dev.16, chrome-2014.4.14 released

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Mon Apr 14 22:48:02 PDT 2014

Confusingly, there was a bug in the posted chrome-2014.4.14 packages
(but not in the builds from the git repository) that made none of the
rulesets work. I suspect there is an error somewhere in the HTTPS
Everywhere release scripts, which are somewhat different from the build
scripts in the git repo. Will investigate more tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've just posted chrome-2014.4.14.1 on eff.org and to
the Chrome web store, which fixes this bug by reverting back to
chrome-2014.1.3 (except for the version number, which needs to be
monotonically increasing):
https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-chrome-2014.4.14.1.crx. But
if you've already fallen in love with the idea of using
chrome-2014-4-14, it should work if you build from this git tag and
install manually:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/tag/a56b6fb78ebf02d34baad05b6860552040219d9f.

(Luckily I only live a 10-minute bike ride away from an airgapped
signing machine, so it is not implausible for me to post yet another
update overnight if things are still broken for some reason.)

Apologies for any confusion!
Yan

Yan Zhu                           yan at eff.org
Staff Technologist                Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x134