[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Scientific American - update on blogs/pagespeed issue

Christopher Liu cmliu00151 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 15:00:49 PST 2013

To whom it may concern:

Just an update now that someone else has filed a bug on this (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8077 ). The rules
which I am currently testing and appear to make everything work are as
follows; note that order matters:

<rule from="^https?://www\.scientificamerican\.com/assets/css/screen/I\.([\w\-\.]+)\.css\.pagespeed\.cf\.\w+\.css$"
to="https://www.scientificamerican.com/assets/css/screen/$1.css" />
This was originally a special case for I.main.css.pagespeed.cf.(some
random identifier).css -> main.css. It might no longer be necessary -
I haven't recently seen any stylesheets whose names have that capital
"I" at the beginning.

<rule from="^https?://www\.scientificamerican\.com/(.+)\.pagespeed\..*$"
to="https://www.scientificamerican.com/$1" />
This is the general case, in which it is possible to strip everything
from .pagespeed. onward.
I've generalized this a bit from my last message, as there are
multiple two-letter codes that can follow .pagespeed.
I'm not sure whether this needs to handle query parameters; I haven't
personally seen any used.

In summary: stripping every part of a www.scientificamerican.com URL
from ".pagespeed." onward should fix this issue

Sorry for not commenting directly on the bug; I will do so ASAP.

C. Liu