[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Facebook ruleset bug

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Sep 14 11:01:26 PDT 2012

This is being caused by the FacebookApps.xml ruleset, which does:

<rule from="^http://[a-z][a-z]-[a-z][a-z]\.facebook\.com/" to="https://www.facebook.com/"/>

I wonder if that (and some similar rules in Facebook.xml) is now completely
obsolete.  With HTTPS Everywhere disabled, pages like
https://de-de.facebook.com/ seem to render for me.

However I'm a bit nervous about just changing this in the 3.0 stable release.
We should figure out a way to test such changes with a decent number of
Facebook accounts from around the world.  Maybe we'll need to release
3.0development.8 for this purpose?

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131