[HTTPS-E Rulesets] OpenDNS - system.opendns.com expired

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Thu Sep 13 10:52:24 PDT 2012

Christopher Liu writes:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> The certificate used by system.opendns.com has expired, even though
> all other OpenDNS domains are fine. It would have been a few days ago
> (9/5 according to
> https://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=15617&page=1#Item_0
> ) that all the certs were due to expire; not sure why they didn't
> renew the one for system.
> The coverage of system.opendns.com should be moved to a separate
> ruleset which is default_off, and it should be excluded from the main
> ruleset, at least temporarily.

This is part of a larger issue, but I think in this situation you would
often be able to get the site operator itself to act faster than we'll
issue a new release.  In this case, the site operator is a technically
sophisticated company that probably let the cert expire by accident, and
if you could find the right person to tell about it, they might be able
to get the problem fixed with a day or so.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/