[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Caltech-related S3 buckets not working; also Bestofmedia redirection loop

Christopher Liu cmliu00151 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 22:41:02 PDT 2012

To whom it may concern:

Just a couple more issues I noticed in the last couple days...

First of all, Caltech's main website (www.caltech.edu) is now using an
S3 bucket www-prod-storage.cloud.caltech.edu.s3.amazonaws.com , which
doesn't load under the current rules.
Also, www.imss.caltech.edu uses
imss-test-storage.ads.caltech.edu.s3.amazonaws.com for some images,
specifically the bullets next to the System Status items (which show
green/yellow/red for ok/caution/down) - I recall telling you about
this previously, but it got lost in the shuffle in an excessively long
email.
As a reminder, the exclusions are to be added to the Amazon Web
Services ruleset; no substantive changes are needed to the Caltech
ruleset, though you may wish to add comments there about the existence
of these buckets. The failure mode for these appears to be what a
comment in the AWS ruleset calls "bloody forced redirection."

On Tom's Hardware forum threads such as
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3539-63-power-options-change-processor-state
, there are some layout(?) images served from static.computing.net,
which the Bestofmedia ruleset rewrites to https://www.computing.net,
which redirects back to http://www... (for example,
http://static.computing.net/img/bg_alt_grey_lines.gif )

As usual, I know you are quite busy, so thank you for your time and help.

C. Liu