[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Problems browsing scratch.mit.edu with https everywhere enabled

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Sun Nov 11 22:56:15 PST 2012

Amos Blanton writes:

> Greetings,
>
> We've gotten several reports of strange behavior when browsing Scratch (
> scratch.mit.edu) with https everywhere enabled, including users getting
> logged out repeatedly, and becoming logged in under incorrect accounts. One
> person suspected that a rule was set for *.mit.edu that was not compatible
> with Scratch.
>
> AFAIK, Scratch does not have https support, unless it is built into the
> cake php foundation, which I doubt.  Can you recommend a solution for this
> issue, or next steps to take?

Hi,

This is probably due to

        <securecookie host="^.*\.mit\.edu$" name=".*" />

in the MIT rule, which is overly optimistic.  This would stop any cookie from
being sent to any non-HTTPS URL at any MIT web page.

I'll scale this back so it won't be a wildcard anymore, which should fix the
login issue.  (It would be great if you could turn on HTTPS, of course.)

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/