[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Suggested enhancements (affecting Adobe, Apple, Barnes & Noble, Flickr, Mozilla, UCSD, Wikipedia)

Christopher Liu cmliu00151 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:32:28 PDT 2012

To whom it may concern:

As a reminder, I am using Firefox and have not tested anything in
Chrome. I have examined the 3.0development.1 release but have been too
busy to keep up with all the Git commits.

New rulesets containing trivial rewrites appear to be possible for the
following:

ajax.aspnetcdn.com (owned by Microsoft but can be used on other sites,
so it should probably have its own ruleset)
American Civil Liberties Union - www.aclu.org
Better Business Bureau - www.bbb.org
BurstNET - www.burst.net (known to be valid both with and without www;
no need to redirect one to the other)
ChevronWP7 Labs - labs.chevronwp7.com
dvcs.w3.org
Michigan State University - www.msu.edu (I have never attended this
university, so I haven't tested further. Ruleset should have "partial"
in its name)
Qrobe.it - qrobe.it q1.qrobe.it q2.qrobe.it q3.qrobe.it news.qrobe.it
tam.qrobe.it (consider using \d to future-proof against other qNUMBER
subdomains. Do not browse directly to the qNUMBER subdomains; they are
only used for certain subrequests)
Some parts of Stanford University - ccrma.stanford.edu
fah-web.stanford.edu (I have never attended Stanford, so I haven't
tested further)
Typekit - typekit.com use.typekit.com use.typekit.net

Regarding existing rulesets:

Adobe:
Add www.macromedia.com - the Flash Player Settings Manager lives there
Maybe also community.adobe.com - this fixes some mixed content, e.g.
on https://www.adobe.com/devnet/articles/crossdomain_policy_file_spec.html

Apple:
km.support.apple.com -> https://km.support.apple.com.edgekey.net fixes
most (all?) of the mixed content on support pages

Barnes and Noble:
There is a redirector at www.bn.com; I think it exists both
with/without www and doesn't support https natively. Known URLs
include www.bn.com (root level) -> www.barnesandnoble.com and
www.bn.com/orderstatus/ (trailing slash optional) ->
https://cart4.barnesandnoble.com/account/request.aspx?stage=orderStatus
I can see some other potential improvements, though I'd better wait
until I have a chance to test buying a book.

Flickr:
It seems I need to clarify what the status is.
farm#.static.flickr.com and farm#.staticflickr.com both exist with
valid https. Numbers 1 through 8 currently exist in both sets of
domains. It is probably best to use \d in case farm9 is added later.

Mozilla:
Add support.mozilla.org (to which support.mozilla.com now redirects)
and tbpl.mozilla.org

UCSD:
The changes in this attachment compared to my previous submission include:
Added webmail.ucsd.edu as a redirect to acs-webmail.ucsd.edu
Added jacobsstudent.ucsd.edu in the first section (domains which
already enforce https)
Added a.ucsd.edu in the second section (domains on which https is
working but optional)
Changed www-act to act in the destination page for tritonlink
(although the old URL currently works as a redirect)
Changed the troublereport page destination to
https://a.ucsd.edu/troublereport/ (although the old URL currently
works as a redirect)
Changed the file extension shtml to html in the redirect destinations
on acms.ucsd.edu (although the old URLs currently work as redirects)
(...if I recall correctly. I may have missed something in this list)

Wikipedia:
According to http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Httpsless_domains ,
the wikimedia.org subdomains fenari, noc, observium, svn, and stafford
no longer need exclusions. (I have only checked noc; some of the
others seem not to be intended for public use.)

Thank you for your time and help.

C. Liu