[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Status of HTTPS support on Wikimedia Foundation projects

Roan Kattouw roan.kattouw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 09:24:35 PDT 2011

Thank for for noticing that, Christopher. Wikimedia has now officially
announced that native HTTPS support has been enabled for all wikis
[1]. Over the weekend, I have branched the Wikipedia ruleset on github
[2] and changed it to point to the new https URLs instead of
secure.wikimedia.org .

However, we have a bunch of stray non-wiki *.wikimedia.org domains
lying around (like svn.wm.o, nagios.wm.o, you name it) of which some
do and some don't support HTTPS. I ran into a few when testing the
ruleset on my local machine, but we'll probably need to do a
systematic survey of all domains and identify the ones that don't
support https and therefore need exclusion rules. I'll ask our ops
people to help with this. In the meantime, the ruleset in my
wikipedia-newhttps should be treated as experimental and should not be
included in a release of HTTPSEverywhere just yet. When we've tracked
down all the non-https domains and believe the ruleset to be complete,
we'll let you know :)

Roan Kattouw
Wikimedia Foundation

P.S.: Please CC me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to this list.

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/10/03/native-https-support-enabled-for-all-wikimedia-foundation-wikis/
[2] https://github.com/catrope/https-everywhere/commits/wikipedia-newhttps