[HTTPS-E Rulesets] rule exception for news.google.com/newspapers

Joseph Ishak josephishak at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:30:30 PDT 2011

Hi

I am trying to write a rule exception for "http://news.google.com/newspapers"
but I am not having any
luck.  I looked at the options and found that when I disable the Google
Services checkbox in the options,
I can visit the site correctly.  When the site is enabled, I get kicked to "
https://encrypted.google.com".
Based on that, I tried to modify the GoogleServices.xml file and save it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\jishak\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bumx7zzc.default\HTTPSEverywhereUserRules\GoogleServices.xml

I am running Windows XP SP3 and using FireFox 4.0.1 with HTTPS-Everywhere
0.9.6.

I copied the GoogleServices.xml I found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\jishak\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bumx7zzc.default\extensions\
https-everywhere at eff.org\chrome\content\rules

and pasted it to:

C:\Documents and Settings\jishak\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bumx7zzc.default\HTTPSEverywhereUserRules

based on the documentation found at:

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/rulesets

I then edited the file "C:\Documents and Settings\jishak\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bumx7zzc.default\HTTPSEverywhereUserRules\GoogleServices.xml"
in textpad and tried adding two exceptions:

  <exclusion pattern="^http://(news\.)?google\.com/newspapers" />
  <exclusion pattern="^http://(news\.)?google\.com/archivesearch*" />

I saved the file and then restarted firefox.  When I tried to visit "
http://news.google.com/newspapers", I get kicked to "
https://encrypted.google.com".
I also tried to remove all references to "news" in the GoogleServices.xml
file but I still get kicked to "https://encrypted.google.com".  I am
attaching
my "GoogleServices.xml" file in case someone can see what is the error.  I
would be grateful for any help.

I also tried to open the error console and view the errors as I load the
page.  I have attached a file named "news.google.com newspapers error
console.txt"
I am seeing a lot of errors relating to line 8 like:

Warning: Expected declaration but found '*'.  Skipped to next declaration.
Source File: https://encrypted.google.com/
Line: 8

How do I know which file it is referring to?  Please advise if you have a
working rule that I can use or if you can tell me how to fix this.  This
site is Google's newspaper
archive site for all the newspapers they digitized.

Joseph

--
This is a signature.