[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Google Reader AU

Matthew Fernandez matthew.fernandez at gmail.com
Wed May 4 18:30:02 PDT 2011

On 5 May 2011 10:22, Peter Eckersley <pde at eff.org> wrote:
>> I think I agree with Adam on this, but I'm not sure what the
>> alternative behaviour is. Is the alternative you're referring to
>> hardcoding a rule for each Google ccTLD where we see this behaviour?
>
> Unfortunately, yes.  Take a look at the existing Google Search rule:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/blob/HEAD:/src/chrome/content/rules/Google.xml
>
> particularly the last portion of that file.
Mmm, that does look a bit painful. Not sure what work's best here. I
would say go with whatever is more maintainable in your opinion.

> That's not the problem.  The problem is that the rule you've written will
> cause some non-reader services on google.com.au to break.  For example:
>
> http://www.google.com.au/maps
This is true, but IMHO the Google rule should redirect
http://www.google.com.au/maps to https://maps.google.com.au, which it
doesn't currently handle anyway. So without my rule I get an HTTP
version of maps; with my rule I get an HTTPS version of the Google
homepage. I find it easier to just remember to use
https://maps.google.com.au.