[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Google Reader AU

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Wed May 4 17:22:25 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 09:29:34AM +1000, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
> Hi Adam/Peter,
>
> I think I agree with Adam on this, but I'm not sure what the
> alternative behaviour is. Is the alternative you're referring to
> hardcoding a rule for each Google ccTLD where we see this behaviour?

Unfortunately, yes.  Take a look at the existing Google Search rule:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/blob/HEAD:/src/chrome/content/rules/Google.xml

particularly the last portion of that file.

> With regards to this conflicting with existing rules, I have it in my
> HTTPSEverywhereRules directory and haven't noticed any other Google
> services falling back to HTTP. However, I realise this isn't a
> comprehensive test.

That's not the problem.  The problem is that the rule you've written will
cause some non-reader services on google.com.au to break.  For example:

http://www.google.com.au/maps

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131