[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Buggy YouTube?

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Fri Mar 18 16:44:34 PDT 2011

Osama Khalid writes:

> Hello,
>
> I activated the YouTube rule in version 0.9.9.dev.4 on a Flash-enabled
> computer and I manged to play embedded videos normally.
>
> The YouTube rule is disabled by default because it 'breaks embedded
> videos' but I couldn't reproduce that bug. Can anyone refer to an
> embedded video that works with HTTP only?

Anybody?  We're getting a number of requests to turn this rule on by
default.

I don't think it actually protects video-playing, but it might
protect people's peripheral activities on YouTube that don't
involve clicking "play" on a video, perhaps including searching,
commenting, and social networking activities.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107