[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Add Netflix sub-sub domain support i.e. ca.movies.netflix.com (Netflix Canada) - 2 xml files attached

Victor Garin vic.garin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 06:11:32 PDT 2011

Netflix Canada adds a "ca" prefix to movies.netflix.com while surfing.

So in the XML file I have added:

<target host="*.movies.netflix.com" />

<rule from="^http://([^/:@]*)\.movies.netflix\.com/" to="https://$
1.movies.netflix.com/"/>

But I am not sure if you want to add it because:

ca.movies.netflix.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for movies.netflix.com

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

I add Exception so I can surf Netflix Canada using HTTPS.

Not sure what the HTTPS Everywhere policy on adding domains when there is an
SSL certificate error.

Or maybe you can branch the movies server into a new .xml file and keep it
disabled.

The current rule for Netflix, HTTPS Everywhere on movies.netflix.com (no
prefix = USA version) works properly with no SSL certificate error, because
it just SSL's the first subdomain. The canadian edition is sub-sub domain
i.e. ca.movies.netflix.com.

There are 2 attachments:

Netflix.xml is all in one including the SSL certificate error.

NetflixMovies.xml contains only a rule for forcing HTTPS on sub-domains of
movies.netflix.com that is ca.movies.netflix.com so incase you want to keep
it turned off by default.