[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Cannot log out from Google - Google Accounts

Osama Khalid osamak at gnu.org
Tue Jul 5 00:31:18 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:21:05PM -0700, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> In general the philosophy I've been trying to aim for with HTTPS
> Everywhere is to prioritise non-breakage over completeness of
> coverage, even in the development branch, on the theory that
> non-breakage will get us the most users, and we can gradually work
> towards completeness from there.

I agree.

We should also start thinking about a way to automatically update
rulesets. One way might be to have a machine-friendly Changelog that
contains the name of the improved ruleset and the date of the
change. The HTTPS Everywhere extension should fetch that log every few
days and download the new version directly from the git repository.

For example, in this case, the log can contain:

* 2011-07-05 03:22:24 GoogleServices.xml

If the timestamp of the change is after the timestamp of the last
update, the extension should fetch:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/src/chrome/content/rules/$RULESET

(I dunno if https://gitweb.torproject.org is blocked in China or Iran
or what we can do in case of that)