[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Google.xml new version

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Mon Feb 7 11:17:43 PST 2011

Klaus Ondrich writes:

> Hi,
>
> I patched Google.xml to support Search Suggests for Firefox "Google AT - Das
> Web" search plugin available on
> https://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
> I added just one line (line 43): <exclusion
> pattern="^http://suggestqueries\.google\.com/.*client=.*"/>
> since existing exclusion pattern <exclusion
> pattern="^http://suggestqueries\.google\.com/.*client=products.*"/>
> does not apply for this search plugin.
>
> I disabled Google Search pattern within HTTPSEverywhere, placed my patched
> Google.xml in my HTTPSEverywhereUserRules folder and search suggestions are
> now working for this search plugin, too.

Hi Klaus,

I think this means that HTTPS Everywhere is breaking the search suggestions
feature, since your change causes HTTP URLs that were being transformed into
HTTPS to no longer be transformed into HTTPS.

I thought this bug had been fixed earlier (so that we were able to make the
search suggestions secure without breaking them).  I guess we need to look
into it again!

Could you tell me what version of Firefox you're using?

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107