[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Reconsider putting HTTPS Everywhere on addons.mozilla.org

Victor Garin vic.garin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:17:10 PDT 2011

"Q. Why isn't HTTPS Everywhere available for download from
addons.mozilla.org like most other Firefox add-ons?

A. We felt that the Mozilla privacy policy that applies to downloads
from addons.mozilla.org is somewhat less protective than the privacy
policies of the organizations that develop HTTPS Everywhere, and we
prefer for HTTPS Everywhere users to be protected by our privacy
policy. This decision could change in the future as Mozilla's privacy
practices evolve or as we re-examine the details of the current
Mozilla policy."

I want to ask the devs to reconsider putting HTTPS Everywhere on
addons.mozilla.org.

A few reasons:

1. Trust: Many people trust that add-ons posted on addons.mozilla.org
has been reviewed by the Mozilla team. I mean people download many
add-ons from there, including many unknown ones.

2. More Users == Less False positives as there is a higher chance of a
False positive being reported because more sites will be tested. Also
most people comment on the Add-on page itself, rather than going
through the hoops of Mailing List or IRC.

==========================

I am not sure exactly how Mozilla privacy policy affects HTTPS
Everywhere. The Add-on code will be the same no? Or is it that the
developers and or ruleset contributors could be held liable for
submitting rules? I was thinking laws regarding, unauthorized use of
computer network or equipment? It is in the Criminal Code in Canada
which means Extradition to the US, per the Mutual legal assistance
treaty, which happens when both countries consider a crime to be a
crime, even if the minimum sentence is less in one country. Oh and the
Extradition process in Canada is just a Rubber Stamp process. I looked
up the Court Records, 99.9% of the accused were extradited (or
committed in legal speak). They don't evaluate the merit of the
evidence, basically it is Guilty until proven Innocent by a court of a
foreign jurisdiction, with a cruel and unusual punishment of being
deported to another country for the trial. Well if that isn't enough,
we have Internet Surveillance and warrantless wiretapping legislation
coming soon as part of our Conservative Government's Crime and
Punishment agenda. Hell, they did not even keep it a secret during the
May election, and they won a majority in the Parliament, see:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_2011#Internet_surveillance_and_warrant-less_wiretapping

Damn! I should have used TOR when I submitted all those rulesets for
the last few months....