[DSA-Alliance] [URGENT] DSA trilogue to be finalized soon: new statement of the alliance

Kayyali, Dia J. kayyalin at uchastings.edu
Tue Apr 19 03:47:37 PDT 2022

Hi there,
I will review this statement in the next few hours, but I want to express my concern about this process.

Friday and Monday were holidays in Germany, meaning I have only today to review this. However, even if they hadn’t been, 3 working days is nowhere near enough time to suggest changes to a shared statement and integrate them. We could have worked on this as a shared document earlier in the week. Eliska, I of course really appreciate all the work you have done! I’m just suggesting that the process could have been different.

It also would have been nice to get updates about what was happening with the crisis amendment via this mailing list, instead of finding out on Twitter. That’s happened with several changes now, and since Mnemonic is not an EDRI member, we have no way of knowing about these things unless we get the heads up here or from MEP Breyer. There’s no other mailing list we can go to get that information that I know of.

Finally, I’m not sure about putting out a statement in the name of the alliance without any response from members that they are okay with that, especially since we did not discuss doing that in any meeting in the past (ie at the last meeting if we had said the process for statement going out is to just not object to it, but I don’t think we did so unless I missed it).

I appreciate the goal of the DSA alliance. To achieve that goal, I believe it is important to provide small updates and time to work collaboratively, especially when some of us are coming from tiny organizations and have little to no resources. Considering that there are staff supporting the alliance, perhaps delegating some of the communication could help. I’m not sure how much this alliance will really do going forward, but I hope that these problems can be addressed.

Best,
Dia