[DSA-Alliance] [URGENT] DSA trilogue to be finalized soon: new statement of the alliance

Eliška Pírková eliska at accessnow.org
Fri Apr 15 08:32:36 PDT 2022

Dear members of the alliance,

As the DSA negotiations are approaching their end, we would like to share
with you *a new joint statement*
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qUNc-DvTK_xkBim47xf0-Hl4tdfQqRCPCEK56UyQ1xg/edit>
that we wish to deliver to negotiating teams on behalf of the alliance.

*DSA update:*
Major positive outcomes were achieved and sustained in the the DSA
proposal. Having said that, there are several remaining issues that new
joint statement tackles. These are:

   1. Limits of automated decision making and risks of content
   over-removals: Article 7a that contains prohibition of legally mandated
   automated decision making is still in danger, since Council of the EU
   demands its deletion from the text;
   2. Transparency reporting obligations for providers of intermediary
   services: The statement underlines its importance that has become even more
   significant due to the war in Ukraine;
   3. Risks assessment and mitigation of risks measures: Article 27 and
   Recital 58 now contains direct reference to the Code of conduct against
   illegal hate speech that is highly problematic;
   4. Crisis response mechanism: this is a new addition to the DSA proposal
   resulting from the was in Ukraine and consequent political pressure.
   However, the overly broad scope of this latest measure is worrisome.

Our new statement is significantly informed by the one from December 2021
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kSqyqcic9GDHzJO0b7CUfBXM5pS7moRQJKB9VcqrbKk/edit>.
For better clarity, I am also sharing the most recent 4 columns document
(in the attachment).

*DSA Timeline: *
The next technical negotiations will take place on *19 April* and the final
political trilogue is currently planned *for Friday, 22 April*. If
everything goes well (which might not) we will have first political
agreement on the DSA finalized by the end of next week.

*Next steps: *
We would like to kindly ask you *to review the statement by Tuesday, 19
April, COB*.
*Unless organizations that signed the December 2021 statement object their
participation, your name will be automatically added to the list of
signatories. If any new organization would like to join, please express
your interest by next Tuesday.  *

*We will publish the statement with complete list of signatories on
Wednesday, 20 April. *The statement will be supported by twitter action. We
would really welcome if all signatories will republish the statement on
their respective websites and join Twitter initiative.

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to get in touch.

Many thanks for your support. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes,
Eliska

*Eliska Pirkova*
Europe Policy Analyst and Global Freedom of Expression Lead
Access Now | https://www.accessnow.org
<https://www.accessnow.org/>

* Subscribe to the Access Now Express <https://www.accessnow.org/express>,
our weekly newsletter on digital rights
* Join the RightsCon <https://www.rightscon.org/> community - get updates
via the RightsCon Rundown <https://www.rightscon.org/rundown/>
* *Follow* our evolving programmatic response
<https://www.accessnow.org/issue/covid-19/> to COVID-19 around the world