[DSA-Alliance] Today's second meeting of the DSA alliance - 3pm CEST

Christoph Schmon christoph at eff.org
Thu Sep 23 01:56:41 PDT 2021

Dear all,

Many thanks to all who could participate in the meeting today. And please accept our sincere apologies that we only announced the Doodle result on the day of the meeting. It was not planned this way, but we decided to not cancel the meeting but to move ahead and work on our DSA Human Rights Alliance statement<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z0tTtzfSzCBJXBB3bdaDynS5NBxbbyspyfHdpaXRoZM/edit#heading=h.mi9o8nu8o6g5> as quickly as we can. Please don’t hesitate to add any comments to that statement and to use the email-list to discuss things that matter to you. We also gladly offer 1:1: meetings to those who couldn’t attend the meeting. Just ping us!

A quick recap about what happened at the meeting (feel free to add points!):

  *   We discussed the DSA timeline in the EU Parliament in the responsible committees: As regards the IMCO – internal market lead committee: likely not before November. As regards the JURI – legal affairs committee: the vote is foreseen at the beginning of Oct but a delay remains possible.
  *   We also discussed the latest developments: We are very concerned about the human rights-unfriendly suggestions by a number of influential Members of Parliament (MEPs) to introduce very short deadlines for platforms to remove problematic content, to completely ignore the international impact of certain provisions such as on trusted flaggers and the idea to bring messenger services such as Signal within the scope of the DSA. We (Access Now and EFF) have just drafted a “red lines” letter to warn MEPs to not cross human rights red lines. We can share the letter with you once it’s final.
  *   We collected additional feedback on the statement. It seems that we are good to go when it comes to the general structure and focus of the statement. Alliance members pointed out that we should include some lines on the need to address the risk non-EU users face when platforms carry out their “risk assessments” and “mitigation measures” (we will try to draft another paragraph on this!). Another element that is missing from the DSA proposal is how to address monetization and related disinformation. There is not much space in the DSA proposal to squeeze this in, but we are reflecting on whether we could ask for additional requirements in provisions related to transparency of ads. Please note that another legislative proposal specifically tackling disinformation and political advertisement will be launched by the European Commission in Q4 2021. It was also suggested that we should discuss , in future meetings, how the problem of content duplication should be addressed and that there is a need to address the trade-offs between illegal content-removal and freedom of expression. Bad proposals could even cause more damage.
  *   We also had a quick exchange about how to organize a first round of meetings in the EU Parliament/with the EU Commission. We discussed that it could be a good idea to have a regional focus in some of those meetings (e.g. Latam countries). We will explore this further.

Considering your feedback and to make sure that everyone is included, we would kindly ask you for additional comments/green light on that statement by the end of next week – Friday, 1 October (end of your business). Our colleagues from communication and advocacy teams will review and polish the draft and we would work on a campaigning concept to support the DSA HR Alliance statement, which we will share with you for your feedback!

Many thanks!
Eliška and Christoph