[DC-Trade] Background paper on trade and the Internet

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed Oct 4 14:01:26 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Further to the brief exchange with Bill earlier today, we are now
finally sharing with you a link to a background paper on trade and the
Internet, that we hope will be a useful resource for this Dynamic
Coalition going forward.  This was one of the outputs that we resolved
to produce during the year, in the leadup to our inaugural meeting in
Geneva.

It's a collaborative document and it's labelled version "0.0", but
because it's difficult to start off with a blank slate, you'll find that
it's already pretty comprehensive, and I'd like to thank my colleague
Jyoti for her extensive work on it.

Importantly, unlike the resolution about transparency, it's not intended
to be a position paper but an informational resource.  This means that
it doesn't contain any recommendations (except for references to
recommendations made elsewhere), and we are not seeking to reach a
consensus about it.  But with that said, if there are any parts of it
that you think are wrong or missing, your help in identifying these is
needed.

The link to the draft is here (please use this rather than the link
shared by the Secretariat, which is to an earlier version):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxlSbR_JO6rra7jmDupU315UkJc6ThJN-3Hx0iGCv7Y/edit?usp=sharing

The above link allows you to comment only (to avoid driveby edits by
anyone who visits the link), but if you want to be able to edit
directly, please let me know and I can add your name to the list of
editors.  The document will be open for edits for two months until 4
December, at which time we will finalize it, so that it can be presented
at our inaugural meeting and become a resource for us to draw upon going
forward.

Thanks and I look forward to reading your comments.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122