[DC-Trade] New IGF Dynamic Coalition on Trade and the Internet

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:27:15 PST 2017

Hi

I'll address the point on mapping.

>> To publish a background paper mapping the major trade agreements that are

My experience with mapping initiatives in the IGF happened mainly with
the BPF Gender and Access. But it is something many intersessionals
try to do and the results can be useful. However, there is always
something missing.
We twisted and turned (I believe that is the expression) to try to get
as much as initiatives we could but it was a huge effort and may be
dispersive of the common goal, which is transparency.

Also have in mind that geography/region dilemma is very sensitive
right now. So that complicates a lot a mapping on an UN setting. At
one point, in the BPF we were thinking of using geographic coordinates
instead of describing someone's region.

Now the BPF has a partnership with a project on the mapping aspect.

So, I'd suggest "listing" or "describing" and this idea instead of a mapping.

But, hey, if the group wants to embrace the huge effort of mapping, here we go.

Best,

Renata