[DC-Trade] Background paper on trade and the Internet

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Dec 5 17:39:38 PST 2017

The two month consultation period on our background document on trade
and the Internet ended yesterday, and we have incorporated all of the
suggested amendments that were suggested in Google Docs, and proof read
the document.  A final version is available in PDF format here
<https://opendigital.trade/documents/58> (or as a Google Doc here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxlSbR_JO6rra7jmDupU315UkJc6ThJN-3Hx0iGCv7Y/edit>),
and I'll have the IGF Secretariat upload it to the official IGF website
also.

With that said, the IGF Secretariat has just decided that the Dynamic
Coalition output papers (in our case, just an excerpt from the paper,
due to its length) will be left online for further comments up until the
date of the meeting itself.  So, if you have further very small textual
amendments or corrections, please let me know so that I can reflect them
in the version of the paper that I print out and bring to the meeting.

I think everyone understands this already, but just to be clear, the
background paper is not a normative document and does not contain any
recommendations or messages from the Dynamic Coalition; it's simply an
informational resource for capacity building, which can also provide a
shared knowledgebase for our ongoing work and communications.

This differs from the second of our two output documents, the Resolution
on Transparency
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cu2p-gUdAUbPJrHysjWAFQ0SM-CKWabf22D6PGXAgxo/edit>,
which we intend /will/ become a normative document from the Dynamic
Coalition's inaugural meeting after we present it for adoption by
acclamation in Geneva.  It too has recently been finalized, but minor
wording corrections may still be possible before the meeting, so please
give it one final review and let me know if there is anything amiss.

Many thanks and I look forward to seeing many of you in Geneva soon.

PS. If you would like to speak at the DC meeting, you can still add your
name to the draft agenda
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DxVPV54NXYlV7PJkDPMgmmv-XHKzko_mgmHFVPrkBXI/edit#>.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122