[DC-Trade] Proposal for Dynamic Coalition document on trade transparency

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Aug 10 17:33:37 PDT 2017

Bill

I agree that extant international law as framed for instance in the
telecom annex could possibly be used to seek free global flow of data.

Also that it is indeed urgently needed to undertake categories
classification in this area -- diff. between info and data, between
various kinds of data, and so on. And when you say these discussions are
currently blocked, I understand you mean at the WTO -- where they are
blocked by developing countries, and not at the general global IG policy
making space, as I would take it to be, where the very development of
necessary institutions is blocked by developed countries, and associated
stakeholder groups.

Yes, I want global discussions and norms to clarify classifications in
this area; that, among many other Internet/ digital policies issues, is
an urgent global imperative. But I want it first, and primarily, done
not at a trade dealing making forum, but at an appropriate global policy
institution that takes an overall social, political and cultural view of
the subject along with an economic one.

Trade deals "economize" issues, and things are worked out there as
bargains and trade-offs - they would first instance want to see health
and education as primarily commercial services, while we want them first
to be seen like WHO and UNESCO would respectively see them.

Interestingly, Nick Ashton, who I am sure is on this list, argued
recently on the ISOC list that "equity" is not an objective of trade
talks, "prosperity" is. I do not want a forum that does not have
"equity" as one of its key objectives, apart from others, to primarily
be making digital society/ economy classifications and conceptual
frameworks. That is why these discussions are "blocked" at the WTO.

parminder