[CSS-research] Harris Corp, Rohde & Schwarz are 3GPP members

yomna n yomnanasser at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:48:35 PDT 2018

Something interesting I came across a while ago when investigating if it’s
worthwhile for the EFF to join the 3GPP was that Harris Corp and Rohde &
Schwarz (CSS manufacturers) are both members of the 3GPP
<https://webapp.etsi.org/3gppmembership/Results.asp?Member=ALL_PARTNERS&SortMember=Name&DirMember=ASC&SortPartner=Name&DirPartner=ASC&SortMarket=Name&DirMarket=ASC&SortObserver=Name&DirObserver=ASC&SortGuest=Name&DirGuest=ASC&Name=&search=Search>.
The 3GPP is the organization that develops and maintains the 2G, 3G, 4G,
etc ... standards.

The 3GPP website lists every partner (and their representative) who attends
all their meetings.* Harris Corp has voting power regarding proposed
changes (from looking at some documents here:
http://www.3gpp.org/news-events/elections) and regularly participates in
technical decision making + elections.

I’ve done a cursory look through some of specification groups and subgroups
to see if Harris corp has ever proposed any technical changes, but haven’t
found any yet. Link to specifications group:
http://www.3gpp.org/specifications-groups/specifications-groups (which all
have various sub-working groups).

If anyone has time, I think this is worth a deeper look. I know that Harris
Corp does a lot of non-surveillance tech work that requires wireless
communications expertise, so there may ultimately be nothing interesting
related to CSSs.

* To find this info, pick a working group, and then scroll down to the
bottom of the page to the “full meeting calendar”. Click on that and you
can see a full list of participants (and which of their reps was present at
that meeting) and what each participant proposed. It should look like this:
http://www.3gpp.org/DynaReport/Meetings-RP.htm#RP-83.