[CSS-research] NBC and Aaron Turner IDed 40 Stingrays in DC

Robyn Greene greene at opentechinstitute.org
Thu May 24 06:30:29 PDT 2018

Hey folks,

I just wanted to flag this story on how security researcher Aaron Turner
worked with NBC's Washington office to try to figure out how many stingrays
were deployed across DC (in response to DHS's warning
<https://gizmodo.com/dhs-acknowledges-mystery-phone-tracking-devices-have-be-1824295933>)
and found 40 indicators in just a few hours:
https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Potential-Spy-Devices-Which-Track-Cellphones-Intercept-Calls-Found-All-Over-DC-Md-Va-482970231.html

There's not much on their methodology, but I'd be very interested to learn
where/how it converges with or differs from the methodologies deployed by
OTI, EFF, Univ. of Washington and other researchers, if anyone knows/has
contact info for Aaron Turner. I tweeted at him, so I'll update the list if
I hear back.

Best,

Robyn Greene
Policy Counsel and Government Affairs Lead
New America's Open Technology Institute
(O) 202-596-3609
(C) 240-476-2172
greene at opentechinstitute.org
@Robyn_Greene
PGP: BBCE 8771 FE22 CC40 4428  8776 7F80 C668 C0EF F3B5