[CSS-research] Hello and welcome to the Cell Site Simulator Research mailing list

Georgia Bullen georgia at opentechinstitute.org
Mon Nov 20 19:38:23 PST 2017

Hi All!

Joining in with a short intro... I'm Georgia. I am the director of tech
projects at OTI. My background is UX, Software development, data viz and
urban planning. Meaning... I can be help with thinking about UX, managing
things, visualizing data, and random geo stuff.

The Team at OTI (Robyn Greene, Nat Meysenburg, and Chris Ritzo -- all on
this list I think!) did an experiment with a bunch of tools (and help from
many of you!) for the science march back in the Spring, and the write up
for that is available here:
https://www.newamerica.org/oti/blog/oti-experiment-open-source-surveillance-detection/

Looking forward to seeing how we can work together as a group going forward.

-Georgia

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Martin Shelton <mshelton at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hey all, and thanks for organizing, Cooper + Yomna!
>

> Very brief intro: I'm Martin. I conduct user research and study how U.S.
> journalists and media activists manage information security. To help relay
> good information on this topic, it's an area I'd like to learn more about.
>

> Martin
>
> On Nov 20, 2017, at 1:15 PM, Peter Ney <neyp at cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Nice to meet everyone! Cooper, thanks for starting this list. I think it
> is a great idea to get everyone working on cell-site simulators in touch.
>
> I'm Peter Ney, a graduate student in the Security Lab at the University of
> Washington, and a member of the SeaGlass team (https://seaglass.cs.
> washington.edu/), along with Ian Smith, Karl Koscher, and Yoshi Kohno.
> Our long term goal with SeaGlass is to build systems that are able to
> detect cell-site simulators at scale (especially commercial models) with
> high accuracy. This means building systems to collect cellular data and
> developing algorithms that can use this data to detect cell-site simulators.
>
> We aren't there yet. In addition to the challenges of collecting data, I
> think there are two unsolved problems:
>
> 1) If you detect something anomalous/suspicious, how do you know if it is
> a cell-site simulator or some other network anomaly (e.g., cell-on-wheels,
> femtocell, misconfigured legitimate BTS, etc)? In our experience looking at
> network data, really weird stuff happens all the time that is innocuous.
> This would be easier to answer if we had ground truth from the network, but
> we really shouldn't rely on having this. This is going to be especially
> important to solve if we want to use our results in court.
>
> 2) We need rigorous evaluation that convinces us that a detection system
> would actually work in the wild. The recent White-Stingray paper published
> this year at WOOT'17 highlights this point when they showed that
> phone-based IMSI-catcher detection apps are missing lots of cell-site
> simulator behavior. This problem gets harder because showing that a given
> system can detect a homemade SDR IMSI-catcher doesn't mean that it could
> detect a Harris Stingray or Hailstorm (because we are still making educated
> guesses about their behavior unless we can get access to them).
>
> Right now we are revamping the SeaGlass sensor to collect lots more data
> with SDRs, and are working on improving our evaluation infrastructure (with
> IMSI-catchers) to add more rigor to our evaluation. We hope to start
> collecting more data in the wild sometime next year.
>
> Ian and I are also involved in a cell-site simulator court case down in
> Tacoma, WA, so we may have some questions for the list as we get further
> along in that process.
>
> Peter
>
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Eric Null <null at opentechinstitute.org>
> wrote:

> [...]

Georgia Bullen
Director of Technology Projects
Book a meeting: https://calendly.com/georgiabullen/

Open Technology Institute <http://newamerica.org/oti/> @ New America
<http://newamerica.org>
740 15th Street NW, Suite 900, Washington DC, 20005
@georgiamoon <http://twitter.com/georgiamoon>