[CSS-research] Hello and welcome to the Cell Site Simulator Research mailing list

Cooper Quintin cooperq at eff.org
Tue Nov 14 11:10:37 PST 2017

Hello and welcome to the Cell Site Simulator Research mailing list!

I am a senior staff technologist at EFF on our Cybersecurity Team. For
the last year or so I have been studying—among other things—Cell Site
Simulators (IMSI catchers) and their use against activists in the United
States.

Since I began researching IMSI catchers some time last year I have made
contact with many other researchers and organizations. What I have
discovered is that many of those people are working along the same lines
but not sharing knowledge, ending up in a situation where people are
duplicating each other's work, or solving problems which have already
been solved.

The goal of this working group will be to bring everyone working on IMSI
catcher detection technology and IMSI catcher policy strategies
together, so as to not duplicate each other's current and past work. We
can also share our findings and strategies with each other which will
hopefully multiply our effectiveness.

To start with, here is a list of relevant literature and videos that my
colleague Yomna compiled, along with descriptions and ratings for most
of them.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10cDNl3qnmi_MFU66JcdKEXWyQVZDRIsPCPAMHWzuQqU/edit#

I think a good next step might be a round of introductions (for anyone
who wants to do so) and a bit about what we have all been working on. I
will do so for myself in a separate thread.

Cheers,
--
Cooper Quintin
Senior Staff Technologist | EFF