[Companion-announce] Informal survey: big ideas in digital security (by Tuesday, 16th)

Soraya Okuda soraya at eff.org
Thu Jan 11 11:34:37 PST 2018

Hi lovely people!

I hope everyone is having a good start to 2018.

I'm trying to collect nuggets of "big ideas that aren't explicitly
understood by beginners about computers or digital security" before
*next Tuesday, the 16th.*

You can think back to the "aha" moments you had when you were first
learning about computer science, or teachable moments where you've made
something click for someone else. Were there any "big picture ideas"
that gave you a helpful mental framework of how all these other tips and
ideas fit together?

The goal is to provide an easier pathway for non-technical trainers to
know how all these disparate ideas fit together, which I'd eventually
like to include in the Security Education Companion (perhaps in the
Security Education 101 articles, as a Big Ideas section). I would like
to make things that are implicitly understood, but not communicated by
experts, more explicit to the people they're teaching. For you
curriculum nerds, I'm thinking of concept-based teaching.

Have any interest in helping me in my quest? Know of any such big ideas?
Shoot an email! I'm happy to compile and share back all the ideas as an
email to the group.

Some examples of big ideas (and by all means, feel free to improve on
these off-the-cuff examples):

+ The cloud is just someone else's computer.

+ Things that don't fit in the visual of a "computer", like phones, are
computers.

+ When you move or upload a file, you're making a copy of it.

+ Software updates are important because they often address known
security exploits.

Gratefully,

Soraya

--