[Certbot-dev] Certbot 0.22.0 Release with ACMEv2 and Wildcard Support

Brad Warren bmw at eff.org
Wed Mar 7 17:26:17 PST 2018

Certbot 0.22.0 has been released which includes support for Let’s Encrypt’s upcoming ACMEv2 endpoint and automatically obtaining and installing wildcard certificates. The changelog for the release is:

### Added

* Support for obtaining wildcard certificates and a newer version of the ACME protocol such as the one implemented by Let's Encrypt's upcoming ACMEv2 endpoint was added Certbot and its ACME library. Certbot still works with older ACME versions and will automatically change the version of the protocol used based on the version the ACME CA implements.
* The Apache and Nginx plugins are now able to automatically install a wildcard certificate to multiple virtual hosts that you select from your server configuration.
* The `certbot install` command now accepts the `--cert-name` flag for selecting a certificate.
* `acme.client.BackwardsCompatibleClientV2` was added to Certbot's ACME library which automatically handles most of the differences between new and old ACME versions. `acme.client.ClientV2` is also available for people who only want to support one version of the protocol or want to handle the differences between versions themselves.
* certbot-auto now supports the flag --install-only which has the script install Certbot and its dependencies and exit without invoking Certbot.
* Support for issuing a single certificate for a wildcard and base domain was added to our Google Cloud DNS plugin. To do this, we now require your API credentials have additional permissions, however, your credentials will already have these permissions unless you defined a custom role with fewer permissions than the standard DNS administrator role provided by Google.  These permissions are also only needed for the case described above so it will continue to work for existing users. For more information about the permissions changes, see the documentation in the plugin.

### Changed

* We have broken lockstep between our ACME library, Certbot, and its plugins.  This means that the different components do not need to be the same version to work together like they did previously. This makes packaging easier because not every piece of Certbot needs to be repackaged to ship a change to a subset of its components.
* Support for Python 2.6 and Python 3.3 has been removed from ACME, Certbot, Certbot's plugins, and certbot-auto. If you are using certbot-auto on a RHEL 6 based system, it will walk you through the process of installing Certbot with Python 3 and refuse to upgrade to a newer version of Certbot until you have done so.
* Certbot's components now work with older versions of setuptools to simplify packaging for EPEL 7.

### Fixed

* Issues caused by Certbot's Nginx plugin adding multiple ipv6only directives has been resolved.
* A problem where Certbot's Apache plugin would add redundant include directives for the TLS configuration managed by Certbot has been fixed.
* Certbot's webroot plugin now properly deletes any directories it creates.

More details about these changes can be found on our GitHub repo:
https://github.com/certbot/certbot/milestone/48?closed=1