[Certbot-dev] Hook Directories

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Tue Sep 19 14:14:20 PDT 2017

On 09/18/2017 06:11 PM, Brad Warren wrote:
> 1. This approach causes fragmentation between different distros as how
> the users can/should use hooks varies. While we can only do so much to
> prevent this, we'd like to prevent there being significant differences
> in how you use Certbot on different systems. We've been having package
> maintainers hold off on adding something like this to their packages so
> a change could be landed in our git repo and everyone could benefit.

I'm mostly familiar with the Debian/Ubuntu style run-parts foo.d
approach. How do other distributions approach this question?

> 2. There are also the problems mentioned in my previous email about the
> INI file. These are that these values currently override any hooks
> defined per lineage (rather than getting run in addition to those hooks)
> and they are also run for the "certonly" and "run" subcommands rather
> than just "renew".

It seems like the precedence should be flipped, and flags defined in
per-lineage renewal configs should override the global defaults. This
makes it easier to say "this certificate is for software X, and only
software X should be reloaded on renewal." Otherwise every piece of
software that potentially uses certificates will always get reloaded on
every renewal, which may cause unnecessary load spikes at renewal time.

> I think it depends. If Certbot has a consistent default where hook
> directories could be found, a developer or packager building around
> Certbot can probably assume their hooks should be placed at a specific
> location. In theory, the distro may have changed Certbot's default
> directory locations, but we've never seen this in practice.

If a packager is building around Certbot, the location of the hook
directories will be defined by their OS. For packages installed with
"make install", or "pip install", I think they generally don't know
enough about their environment to be willing to install a hook into
/etc/letsencrypt/hooks.d/, even if Certbot defaults to that. Do we have
statements of interest from developers who want their "make install",
"pip install", or equivalent install steps to install such hooks?