[Ccpa] We need your voices to protect California privacy!

Hayley Tsukayama hayleyt at eff.org
Mon May 6 15:52:21 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your continued support of privacy legislation in
California. We're working to fight the bad bills that passed out of the
Assembly Privacy Committee. We're also ramping up support of Sen.
Hannah-Beth Jackson's S.B. 561, which includes a key piece of A.B. 1760:
the private right of action, which allows people to sue for all
violations of CCPA.

On both efforts, it will make a /huge/ difference to have your diverse
and powerful voices speaking up for privacy.

/*S.B. 561*/ is running on a short timeline, and we need to drive calls
and support over the next week to make sure it gets out of the
Appropriations Committee. There are three things you can do to support
S.B. 561:

    1) Call your senators to say you support S.B. 561—particularly if
    you're a constituent:

      * Chair Portantino (District 25-Glendale)
          o Sacramento office: (916) 651-4025
          o District office: (818) 409-0400
      * Sen. Hill (District 13-San Mateo, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Mountain
        View)
          o Sacramento: (916) 651-4013
          o District: (650) 212-3313
      * Sen. Bradford (District 35 - Carson, Compton, Inglewood, San Pedro)
          o Sacramento: (916) 651-4035
          o District, Inglewood: (310) 412-6120
          o District, San Pedro: (310) 514-8573
      * Sen. Wieckowski (District 10 - Hayward, Fremont)
          o **Sacramento: **(916) 651-4010
          o District: (510) 794-3900

    2) Sen. Jackson will be hosting an open question-and-answer session
    (AMA) on Reddit on May 8th at noon. Please support her and the bill.
    We will share the link when it is available.

    3) Actions/blog posts to share:

      * Media Alliance:
        https://media-alliance.org/these-four-california-democrats-can-break-privacy/
      * EFF:
        https://action.eff.org/o/9042/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=10915

As for the /*CCPA-weakening bills*/ that passed out of the Assembly
Committee, we continue to oppose. Please reach out to register your
opposition to the authors and your own representatives:

  * A.B. 25 (Chau)
    <https://www.eff.org/document/ab-25-opposition-letter-april-2019>would
    allow companies to collect invasive data about their employees.
      o @AsmEdChau; Sacramento: (916) 319-2049; District: (323) 264-4949
  * A.B. 846 (Burke)
    <https://www.eff.org/document/ab-846-opposition-letter-april-2019>
    would increase the power of businesses to force consumers to pay for
    their CCPA privacy rights.
      o @AsmAutumnBurke; Sacramento: (916) 319-2062; District: (310)
        412-6400
  * A.B. 873 (Irwin)
    <https://www.eff.org/document/ab-873-opposition-letter-april-2019>
    would weaken two critical definitions (“personal information” and
    “deidentified”) and thus undermine necessary privacy protections in
    the CCPA.
      o @ASM_Irwin; Sacramento: (916) 319-2044; District: (805) 482-1904,
  * A.B. 1564 (Berman)
    <https://www.eff.org/document/ab-1564-opposition-letter-april-2019>
    would increase the cost of asserting privacy rights, which is
    especially harmful to low-income Californians.
      o @AsmMarcBerman, Sacramento: (916) 319-2024; District: (650) 691-2121

Thank you again! As always, please reach out to me with any thoughts or
questions at hayleyt at eff.org.

Hayley

--
Hayley Tsukayama