[Ccpa] It seems that this digital dividend thing is happening in other states

Dena Mendelsohn dena.mendelsohn at consumer.org
Sun Mar 3 07:37:23 PST 2019

Thanks, Ernesto. I recently attended a precision medicine conference and
there was a lot of talk about digital dividends for health data. Businesses
that capitalize off data are very eager to pay consumers a token amount for
valuable, personal, information.

Dena B. Mendelsohn

Senior Policy Counsel o (415) 431-6747

CR.org
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcr.org%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEPer8_n1B22tRY54Ey8b8YbjotDQ>
CR.org/advocacy <https://advocacy.consumerreports.org/>

<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fcr.org&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHOTMLPmT81MSO0uoTpxKTUJ1NI-Q>

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019 at 4:02 PM Ernesto Falcon <ernesto at eff.org> wrote:

> I asked a colleague in Oregon who is on the front line on this terrible
> bill that is essentially a digital dividend argument if I could share their
> summary with this group and they ok'd it, so take a look below. EFF is
> working to help them spike it down and keep it dead, but I think we're
> looking at some sort of national campaign by a well financed group and we
> should inform our colleagues in other states where possible to keep an eye
> out. A lot of details below on their strategy.
>

> I promised you an update on SB 703, which we have been fighting here in
> Oregon. I’m not sure how familiar you are with Hu-manity.co, or with
> other folks that are promoting a “new human right” where your data is your
> “property.” I wasn’t super aware of it before this bill came to Oregon, and
> for the last month or so I’ve been diving down deeper and deeper rabbit
> holes investigating them.
>
>  It’s honestly really disturbing, dystopian stuff. It’s being promoted as
> altruistic, but the people behind it are already mega-rich from selling our
> data, and they are now finding a new way to disrupt the market so they can
> make even more. The really short explanation is that these folks want to
> convince us that our privacy is already lost, so we may as well get paid
> and give them a cut. And somehow the payment will make it totally fine that
> they are encouraging us to give up even more data. We should feel OK
> though, because they will make sure our data is secure through the use of
> blockchain technology. Just trust them…
>
>  My current concern is that they are incredibly aggressive. I understand
> they have even reached out to members of our congressional delegation about
> doing something similar at the national level. Despite our crushing them at
> the Senate Judiciary hearing last week, they are still working the bill
> incredibly hard here in Oregon, reaching out to organizations like Planned
> Parenthood, SEIU, and everyone under the sun, trying to get people to sign
> on in support of the bill.
>
>  They are also incredibly smooth talkers, and good at confusing people. It
> is amazing how many people they fooled into thinking that they have
> altruistic motives. It’s honestly hard to think of a more circular
> conversation, filled with gobbledygook and side-steps, than the
> conversations I’ve had with a co-founder of this company. He’s kind of
> amazing, and not in a great way. He also told us (myself and Chad Marlow at
> our national) multiple outright lies. Yes, I’m pretty worked up about it
> all.
>
>  Here’s a bit more of a run-down of the bill, which you can find (along
> with testimony and such) at this link
> <https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Measures/Overview/SB703>:
>
>    - HIPPA currently allows the sale of de-identified data for research
>    purposes. It prohibits sale of personally identifiable data without
>    authorization.
> [...]

***
This e-mail message is intended only for the designated recipient(s)
named above. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments
may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, you may not review, retain, copy, redistribute or use this
e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, or disclose all or any part of
its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and
any attachments from your computer system.
***