[CalFiber] Biden's announcement on broadband plan ($100 billion, focused on fiber)

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Wed Mar 31 10:45:56 PDT 2021

I don't think the actual technology matters very much if the only option
for people is a national cable monopoly like Charter Spectrum or Comcast.

Moving from high-priced DOCSIS 3.1 to government subsidized DOCSIS 4.0 or
FTTH is an extremely bad outcome and reflects confusion about what the real
problems are.

I think the most important part of this is the preference for local
networks and removing the barriers. If they can actually make funding
available preferentially to local governments first, that is a huge
victory. Should absolutely make tough requirements for affordable options
as part of thd deal.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks
Institute for Local Self-Reliance