[CalFiber] AB 34 is now public, text linked here, lets chat this Friday at 2

Corian Zacher corian at nextcenturycities.org
Thu Mar 18 13:06:44 PDT 2021

Hello Everyone,

I will be out of office tomorrow and will unfortunately not be able to
attend the meeting, but I wanted to share a few quick thoughts.

Regarding AB 34, while I am glad to see an increase in bond financing and a
prioritization of digital equity and inclusion, one concern I have is that
the minimum speed threshold of 100/20 Mbps may not be adequate,
particularly by the end of 2022. While 20 Mbps upstream is certainly better
than 3, a symmetrical speed tier of at least 100/100 Mbps would be more
forward-looking as 20 Mbps is already beginning to become inadequate to
meet the needs of large families for the many uses that have emerged in the
past year that will continue even after social distancing restrictions are
lifted, and there may be more strain on upload speeds in the future as new
applications are developed and utilized.

I also wanted to share NCC's EBBP Explainer for Nontraditional Broadband
Providers
<https://nextcenturycities.org/emergency-broadband-benefit-explainer-for-nontraditional-providers/>
(such
as muni and cooperative networks) in case it is of interest to anyone. If
you have any questions, NCC's Federal Policy Counsel, Ryan Johnston is very
well versed on the program and I am happy to make an introduction.

Many thanks,
Corian

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 12:07 PM Ernesto Falcon <ernesto at eff.org> wrote:

> Lets plan to talk about this at length this Friday as it is going to be
> the other giant bill in the debate in Sacramento. I’d like folks to read it
> through and have the pros and cons they are seeing in it.
>

> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB34
>

> --
>
> Ernesto Omar Falcon
>
> Senior Legislative Counsel
>
> Electronic Frontier Foundation
>
> Office: 415 436 9333 ext. 182
>
> Cell: 202 716 0770

Corian Zacher

Policy Counsel, Local & State Initiatives

Next Century Cities

corian at nextcenturycities.org <francella at nextcenturycities.org>