[CalFiber] Fiber Broadband Association study on the capacity limits of Starlink

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Thu Mar 4 12:47:26 PST 2021

This just came across my desk and was filed at the FCC earlier.

It projects that by 2028 Starlink's capacity will start to hit its limits when measured against 20-30% annual growth in consumption needs, which sounds right to me. It is this question of whether your network has the capacity to stay ahead of the demand curve for the long run is why I wrote this piece (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/06/why-slow-networks-really-cost-more-fiber) since often the slower capacity constrained providers will argue that they are cheaper than fiber so give them the tax money to build.

This is part of the larger fight over whether the federal government should be subsidizing Starlink at all.