[CalFiber] FCC Emergency Broadband Benefit program, question for the ISPs

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Wed Mar 3 11:02:33 PST 2021

For the ISPs on the list, I have questions from a colleague that works on digital inclusion policy if you have capacity to supply some answers. I've been wondering about the program Congress passed in a rush at the end of last year on how its being received/implemented.

I think the fight over subsidizing broadband is inter-related with fiber because of the increasing costs of subsidizing the old infrastructure is going to put continuing and rising cost pressures on the government's finances whereas getting the construction part right will help alleviate over time the subsidy pressure and expand its reach to more people.

  1.  Do you intend to participate in the Emergency Broadband Benefit?

  1.  Are folks signing up for it?

  1.  Any ideas on how you'll use this program?