[CalFiber] Follow up on latest with Governor's budget and legislature

Michael McCarthy mccarthy.mike at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 16:05:41 PDT 2021

Has the legislature or anyone in the Governor's office created a business
plan for leasing fiber? or estimates of the revenue that the State can
earn?  The City and County of San Francisco lease strands of fiber to
UCSF.  The fiber links their sites in SF and connects out to the net via
200 Paul. The CCSF makes about $300k annually on this contract.  The only
time CCSF would have to spend any resources is if there was a physical
break of the fiber otherwise it's a great source of passive income.

Ideally, it would be great to have a percentage of the revenue the state
earns from leasing fiber go into a permanent digital inclusion fund and
support rural deployments.

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM Ernesto Falcon <ernesto at eff.org> wrote:

> Assembly is working hard to just park the $7 billion to do * nothing* and
> we need to fight hard to *at least* get authorization to the Governor’s
> office to begin the planning phase which is contracting, feasibility work,
> environmental, permitting because that alone takes a handful of months. It
> buys us a few months to wrap up the fight of what to do with the money.
>

> The real danger of delaying even the first steps of this process is losing
> the federal dollars since they come with an expiration date. Lets plan to
> chat on this Friday, EFF should have something out tomorrow on this to try
> to drive calls to the legislature but we’re going to need everyone on this
> to push.
>

> --
>
> Ernesto Omar Falcon
>
> Senior Legislative Counsel