[CalFiber] Notes from 2-26-2021 meeting

Stephen Blum steveblum at tellusventure.com
Fri Feb 26 15:05:53 PST 2021

Starlink is taking beta testers now, the cost is $549 ($499 + $50 shipping)
for the equipment and $99 per month for the service. It's not going to be
fiber speeds – they'll have a hard time fulfilling their claims of 50 Mbps
service as they ramp up. At this point, Starlink is not ready for a general
consumer rollout. Their early tests showed that they can provide DSL-type
speeds to at least some users, but not with DSL reliability – speeds varied
widely. They will have a hard time scaling up for general consumer use –
they still have to invent the technology to do it. Another issue will be
that in order to access the satellites, you'll need a reasonably clear shot
to the northern sky, and look angles start to become problematic below
about 45 degrees latitude.

Starlink will be able to fill gaps, but IMHO it's not something that a
relatively dense community will be able to rely on, even if they fulfill
all their promises, which is unlikely.

It's a tool in the kit – if it meets a customer's needs, that's all that
matters. Just won't be all customers.

Steve Blum
Tellus Venture Associates
U.S. +1-831-582-0700