[CalFiber] Reminder: Meeting this Friday at 2 pm

Dane Jasper dane.jasper at sonic.com
Fri Feb 19 14:49:00 PST 2021

Sorry for the poor cellular data service. If I’m going to be mobile I
should use phone audio instead.

While I think we can’t imagine the R proposal to disallow municipal
projects will advance, my point was simply that it doesn’t disallow
building open access dark fiber networks - it simply disallows sale of
“broadband internet access service” itself, the finished product, on a
wholesale or retail basis.

And I argue that most municipalities shouldn’t run a lit network anyway,
because they can simply do the heavy lifting of getting the initial optical
infrastructure built, then step aside and let an array of carriers utilize
it and get the best of all worlds - competitive services, costs and
innovation, with control over fiber deployment to assure it is built where
it is needed.

-Dane Jasper
Sonic Telecom

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:21 PM Ernesto Falcon <ernesto at eff.org> wrote:

> I’m going to change up the agenda a little bit given some updates from DC
> that overlap with what we’re trying to do here in CA.  We will probably go
> a little past 30 minutes today.
>

> 1) Latest from Sacramento (George)
>

> 2) Updates from DC on infrastructure (Ernesto)
>

> 3) Anything else?
>

> Please look at the attached and in particular Subtitle B—Broadband
> Infrastructure Finance and Innovation. I’ll explain more on it at 2 pm, but
> generally familiarize yourself with that section, it’s the long term
> financing program Congress is contemplating creating.
>

> Join Zoom Meeting
>
> https://eff.zoom.us/j/141527051
>
> Meeting ID: 141 527 051 Passcode: 454996
>
> One tap mobile +16699006833,,141527051# US (San Jose)
> +16465588656,,141527051# US (New York)
>
> Dial by your location +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 646 558 8656 US
> (New York) 877 853 5257 US Toll-free 855 880 1246 US Toll-free Meeting ID:
> 141 527 051 Find your local number: https://eff.zoom.us/u/ac5747HBug

Dane Jasper
CEO
707-237-6205