[CalFiber] Sign on letter to Governor Newsom calling for special session on broadband

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Fri Sep 11 14:51:27 PDT 2020

Hey folks,

California came extremely close to passing a $1 billion+ package to
close the digital divide through a combination of grants and supporting
local government bonds to build the infrastructure but the big ISPs ran
out the clock on regular order on August 31. I give the details as well
as the background on the package that has support from a lot of
political leadership in CA here in this blog piece.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/09/how-californias-assembly-killed-effort-expand-broadband-all-californians

With regular order concluding on August 31, we have to get the Governor
to invoke a special session on broadband access, which he can do well
into November (November 30th is the deadline for all legislative
activity in CA).

EFF and Common Sense Media are circulating the attached letter now for
signers (sign on link at the bottom) to make that request. If your
organization has either national presence or is based in California, we
ask for your support by signing on. We need a critical mass to get this
done and I appreciate any help you can lend to this effort. We are
looking to submit the letter by September 28th.

If you have contacts with organizations in California that would have an
interest in joining this effort, please forward them this email and link
below for signers.

_*If your organization wishes to sign onto this letter, use the link
below*__*
*_

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1NqE45myziH5xIuAJnBUX-GcunZGsiJxRsmugZycvztE/viewform?edit_requested=true

If your organization wants to do social media on this letter and effort,
please feel free to coordinate with our state activism lead Hayley
Tsukayama (hayleyt at eff.org). We have to make a steady drum beat of noise
to get the special session.