[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Sean McLaughlin sean at accesshumboldt.net
Thu Sep 3 10:31:21 PDT 2020

Thanks Paul.

We have been interested in this approach for a long time!

If we hold our broadband case to the same standard for GHG emission
reduction - I don't see how green allies will object.

But I am not sure we have the data to show the GHG reductions by providing
broadband access at the census block - esp. for rural, looking at travel
miles saved .. I think we'd have a strong case.

Sean Taketa McLaughlin
Executive Director
Access Humboldt
P.O. Box 157, Eureka, CA 95502
tel: 707-476-1798
cel: 707-616-2381
DC: 202-495-0616
e: sean at accesshumboldt.net

Visit our Website http://accesshumboldt.net
Follow us on Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/accesshumboldt
and Twitter   http://twitter.com/accesshumboldt

"Local Voices Through Community Media"

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 10:21 AM Paul Goodman <paulg at greenlining.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> to at least double and, maybe, quadruple the 0.56% tax rate. Even then,
>> there wouldn't be much, if anything, left for next year, assuming most
>> pending projects are viable and staff gets going on the RDOF backfill.
>>
>> CASF is effectively out of money, at least for infrastructure projects.
>> In the past, CASF funding bills were sponsored by CETF, which meant that
>> AT&T, CCTA and Frontier got to write the rules. That's why we have 6 down/1
>> up as our standard. The revenue source CASF relies on – in-state phone
>> calls – is drying up. That was well known when SB 1130 was introduced. The
>> idea was to break the cycle by getting the strategy right, then deal with
>> the funding next year.
>>
>> Part 1: California’s broadband upgrade fund could lose $120 million,
>> after senate committee caps subsidy bill
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/californias-broadband-upgrade-fund-could-fall-by-more-than-100-million-after-state-senate-committee-clamps-subsidy-bill/>
>>
>> Part 2: California broadband subsidy fund dwindles to less than a third
>> needed for pending projects
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/california-broadband-subsidy-fund-dwindles-to-less-than-a-third-needed-for-pending-projects/>
>>
>> Part 3: Nearly all broadband subsidy proposals could survive California's
>> chopping block. Nearly
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/nearly-all-broadband-subsidy-proposals-could-survive-californias-chopping-block-nearly/>
>>
>> CPUC adds California money to federal broadband subsidy bids. If
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/cpuc-adds-california-money-to-federal-broadband-subsidy-bids-if/>
>>
>> Steve Blum
>> Tellus Venture Associates
>> U.S. +1-831-582-0700
>> N.Z. +64-21-116-0002
>> steveblum at tellusventure.com

>>> according to Rendon. Despite the fact that the CASF is already funded via
>>> fees assessed on our monthly ISP bills, Rendon wanted an additional funding
>>> mechanism attached to the bill. Are CASF taxes set to sunset in the next
>>> few years? This might've been what he's referencing. Would be nice to have
>>> a ready to go talking point to rebut this. It may already be out there, I'm
>>> just unaware of it.
>>>
>>> The CASF is funded by a surcharge on telecommunications - this means
>>> primarily voice telephone service. It's not an ISP surcharge, there
>>> are no taxes or surcharges on internet access in California.
>>>
>>> I don't quite see how it could be characterized as "unfunded", given
>>> the CASF's funding mechanism. I'm not totally on top of the current
>>> state of it, but I did review this page:
>>> https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=6442457932
>>>
>>> ...which seems to lead to the legislation that created the funding
>>> mechanisms. Maybe that $250M "cap" is headed toward sunset? I dunno -
>>> but I do know we're charging a fee to every voice customer every month
>>> and remitting that the CPUC, so there's certainly funds going

>>> 707-237-6205
>>> dane.jasper at sonic.com