[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Stephen Blum steveblum at tellusventure.com
Thu Sep 3 10:31:19 PDT 2020

One of my clients (a city) tried to do this a few years back. The stumbling
block then was documenting the GHG decrease that would be attributable to
better broadband. At the time, the only way we could meet the documentation
requirements was to convince large Silicon Valley employers to participate
and provide us with the data. One city, in another county some distance
away, didn't have the horsepower to do that.

If it's a statewide, or even regional, project, it might be feasible now,
particularly since the telecommuting ecosystem is a lot larger and better
developed.

Steve Blum
Tellus Venture Associates
U.S. +1-831-582-0700
N.Z. +64-21-116-0002
steveblum at tellusventure.com

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 10:21 AM Paul Goodman <paulg at greenlining.org> wrote:

> [...]
>> to at least double and, maybe, quadruple the 0.56% tax rate. Even then,
>> there wouldn't be much, if anything, left for next year, assuming most
>> pending projects are viable and staff gets going on the RDOF backfill.
>>
>> CASF is effectively out of money, at least for infrastructure projects.
>> In the past, CASF funding bills were sponsored by CETF, which meant that
>> AT&T, CCTA and Frontier got to write the rules. That's why we have 6 down/1
>> up as our standard. The revenue source CASF relies on – in-state phone
>> calls – is drying up. That was well known when SB 1130 was introduced. The
>> idea was to break the cycle by getting the strategy right, then deal with
>> the funding next year.
>>
>> Part 1: California’s broadband upgrade fund could lose $120 million,
>> after senate committee caps subsidy bill
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/californias-broadband-upgrade-fund-could-fall-by-more-than-100-million-after-state-senate-committee-clamps-subsidy-bill/>
>>
>> Part 2: California broadband subsidy fund dwindles to less than a third
>> needed for pending projects
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/california-broadband-subsidy-fund-dwindles-to-less-than-a-third-needed-for-pending-projects/>
>>
>> Part 3: Nearly all broadband subsidy proposals could survive California's
>> chopping block. Nearly
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/nearly-all-broadband-subsidy-proposals-could-survive-californias-chopping-block-nearly/>
>>
>> CPUC adds California money to federal broadband subsidy bids. If
>> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/cpuc-adds-california-money-to-federal-broadband-subsidy-bids-if/>
>>
>> Steve Blum
>> Tellus Venture Associates
>> U.S. +1-831-582-0700
>> N.Z. +64-21-116-0002
>> steveblum at tellusventure.com

>>> according to Rendon. Despite the fact that the CASF is already funded via
>>> fees assessed on our monthly ISP bills, Rendon wanted an additional funding
>>> mechanism attached to the bill. Are CASF taxes set to sunset in the next
>>> few years? This might've been what he's referencing. Would be nice to have
>>> a ready to go talking point to rebut this. It may already be out there, I'm
>>> just unaware of it.
>>>
>>> The CASF is funded by a surcharge on telecommunications - this means
>>> primarily voice telephone service. It's not an ISP surcharge, there
>>> are no taxes or surcharges on internet access in California.
>>>
>>> I don't quite see how it could be characterized as "unfunded", given
>>> the CASF's funding mechanism. I'm not totally on top of the current
>>> state of it, but I did review this page:
>>> https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=6442457932
>>>
>>> ...which seems to lead to the legislation that created the funding
>>> mechanisms. Maybe that $250M "cap" is headed toward sunset? I dunno -
>>> but I do know we're charging a fee to every voice customer every month
>>> and remitting that the CPUC, so there's certainly funds going

>>> 707-237-6205
>>> dane.jasper at sonic.com