[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Samantha Corbin samantha at corbinandkaiser.com
Thu Sep 3 10:30:52 PDT 2020

The unfunded mandate argument is a straw man. The Governor and Senate had agreed to a funding deal that would have provided an additional 137 million a year to support this program and Rendon, his leadership team, and his office multiple times refused to consider amending in that language in to 1130.

Cant argue there isn't funding when you refuse outright to allow amendments to fund.

I doubt voters back home who are trying to work remotely and set their kids up on school via zoom are going to be much impressed by the "inter house conflicts" and "broken down negotiations" arguments that I hear floating around. Voters expect the legislature to do their job. They don't care about that stuff, and it's not an excuse.

On the bright side, the Governor is apparently good to put money towards this concept.

All that said, it's still a helpful exercise to get your funding arguments together because while not all arguments against the bill (as this conversation and our recent experience has evidenced) are genuine, oftentimes members of the legislature are fooled by them. Let's make sure they have the right info to make good choices for their districts.

Onward,
SC