[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Paul Goodman paulg at greenlining.org
Thu Sep 3 10:21:05 PDT 2020

I've been thinking about the funding issue, and I'm increasingly confident
that we can successfully argue that broadband deployment leads to decreased
greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, and that broadband projects can therefore
be financed out of California's Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund. With the
exception of this year, California has funded the GGRF ~1.5
billion annually.  An additional benefit of this funding is that there's a
requirement that 25% of the funds provide benefit to disinvested
communities, and that 10 percent of the funds provide investment *in
*disinvested
communities.

I've been putting together an outline for a white paper/article explaining
my reasoning, and I think it's promising. However, I have some reservations
about this as a strategy.  First, we'd be robbing Peter to pay
Paul--broadband investment should come from new revenue resources, not by
taking it from the existing GHGF.  Additionally, this strategy will likely
cause an outcry from enviro groups, so that is definitely part of the
calculus.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 9:15 AM Stephen Blum <steveblum at tellusventure.com>
wrote:

> I wrote a three-part blog post about available CASF money, and also
> followed the RDOF/CASF topic. Links are below.
>
> tl/dr:
>
> CPUC is authorised to collect up to $330 million for CASF, through 2022
> ($66 million/ year x 5 years). The money comes from a tax on in-state
> telephone calls, which is a declining source of revenue. The CPUC set the
> rate at 0.56%, beginning in 2018.
>
> Some of that goes to adoption, public housing and consortia funding. An
> even bigger bite goes to administrative overhead.
>
> Revenue collection has fallen short and is projected to drop to $41
> million in 2020, and to $35 million in 2021 and 2022. On that basis, there
> is something like $145 million left in the infrastructure fund (that's my
> estimate, the CPUC's is in the same ballpark). That's versus $533 million
> in pending projects.
>
> On top of that, per legislative authorisation earlier in the summer, the
> CPUC plans to offer CASF money to RDOF applicants. They haven't said how,
> though.
>
> The CPUC is allowed to make up the shortfall, but to do so it would have
> to at least double and, maybe, quadruple the 0.56% tax rate. Even then,
> there wouldn't be much, if anything, left for next year, assuming most
> pending projects are viable and staff gets going on the RDOF backfill.
>
> CASF is effectively out of money, at least for infrastructure projects. In
> the past, CASF funding bills were sponsored by CETF, which meant that AT&T,
> CCTA and Frontier got to write the rules. That's why we have 6 down/1 up as
> our standard. The revenue source CASF relies on – in-state phone calls – is
> drying up. That was well known when SB 1130 was introduced. The idea was to
> break the cycle by getting the strategy right, then deal with the funding
> next year.
>
> Part 1: California’s broadband upgrade fund could lose $120 million, after
> senate committee caps subsidy bill
> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/californias-broadband-upgrade-fund-could-fall-by-more-than-100-million-after-state-senate-committee-clamps-subsidy-bill/>
>
> Part 2: California broadband subsidy fund dwindles to less than a third
> needed for pending projects
> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/california-broadband-subsidy-fund-dwindles-to-less-than-a-third-needed-for-pending-projects/>
>
> Part 3: Nearly all broadband subsidy proposals could survive California's
> chopping block. Nearly
> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/nearly-all-broadband-subsidy-proposals-could-survive-californias-chopping-block-nearly/>
>
> CPUC adds California money to federal broadband subsidy bids. If
> <https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/cpuc-adds-california-money-to-federal-broadband-subsidy-bids-if/>
>
> Steve Blum
> Tellus Venture Associates
> U.S. +1-831-582-0700
> N.Z. +64-21-116-0002
> steveblum at tellusventure.com

> [...]

*Paul Goodman* (@pauloverbite <http://twitter.com/pauloverbite>)
Technology Equity Director
The Greenlining Institute

pronouns*: he, him, his*

I may have sent this e-mail outside of office hours. I never expect a reply
outside of your office hours.

e: @paulg at greenlining.org <paulg at greenlining.org>

t:  510.898.2053
a: 360 14th Street, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612
w: greenlining.org

Building a nation where communities of color thrive and race is never a
barrier to opportunity. Sign up for our email list here
<http://eepurl.com/bPPgmD>.

<http://facebook.com/greenlining>  <http://twitter.com/greenlining>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/thegreenlininginstitute->

*This transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone. *