[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Stephen Blum steveblum at tellusventure.com
Thu Sep 3 09:15:32 PDT 2020

I wrote a three-part blog post about available CASF money, and also
followed the RDOF/CASF topic. Links are below.

tl/dr:

CPUC is authorised to collect up to $330 million for CASF, through 2022
($66 million/ year x 5 years). The money comes from a tax on in-state
telephone calls, which is a declining source of revenue. The CPUC set the
rate at 0.56%, beginning in 2018.

Some of that goes to adoption, public housing and consortia funding. An
even bigger bite goes to administrative overhead.

Revenue collection has fallen short and is projected to drop to $41 million
in 2020, and to $35 million in 2021 and 2022. On that basis, there is
something like $145 million left in the infrastructure fund (that's my
estimate, the CPUC's is in the same ballpark). That's versus $533 million
in pending projects.

On top of that, per legislative authorisation earlier in the summer, the
CPUC plans to offer CASF money to RDOF applicants. They haven't said how,
though.

The CPUC is allowed to make up the shortfall, but to do so it would have to
at least double and, maybe, quadruple the 0.56% tax rate. Even then, there
wouldn't be much, if anything, left for next year, assuming most pending
projects are viable and staff gets going on the RDOF backfill.

CASF is effectively out of money, at least for infrastructure projects. In
the past, CASF funding bills were sponsored by CETF, which meant that AT&T,
CCTA and Frontier got to write the rules. That's why we have 6 down/1 up as
our standard. The revenue source CASF relies on – in-state phone calls – is
drying up. That was well known when SB 1130 was introduced. The idea was to
break the cycle by getting the strategy right, then deal with the funding
next year.

Part 1: California’s broadband upgrade fund could lose $120 million, after
senate committee caps subsidy bill
<https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/californias-broadband-upgrade-fund-could-fall-by-more-than-100-million-after-state-senate-committee-clamps-subsidy-bill/>

Part 2: California broadband subsidy fund dwindles to less than a third
needed for pending projects
<https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/california-broadband-subsidy-fund-dwindles-to-less-than-a-third-needed-for-pending-projects/>

Part 3: Nearly all broadband subsidy proposals could survive California's
chopping block. Nearly
<https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/nearly-all-broadband-subsidy-proposals-could-survive-californias-chopping-block-nearly/>

CPUC adds California money to federal broadband subsidy bids. If
<https://www.tellusventure.com/blog/cpuc-adds-california-money-to-federal-broadband-subsidy-bids-if/>

Steve Blum
Tellus Venture Associates
U.S. +1-831-582-0700