[CalFiber] SB1130 2020 Post-Mortem

Paul Goodman paulg at greenlining.org
Thu Sep 3 08:53:43 PDT 2020

Hello all,

I just want to flag that some of us work for 501(c)(3) organizations, and
accordingly, we're not allowed to support or oppose candidates for office.
This does not mean that the group shouldn't keep discussing the election
issues Denton brought up--just know that when Greenlining doesn't chime in
on those discussions, it's not because we don't want to, but because our
nonprofit status prohibits us from doing so.

Thanks!

Paul

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 6:52 PM Denton Murphy <denton.murphy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know the subject line stings, but unless a special session is convened,
> SB1130 won't be going forward this year.
>
> Wanted to share what I heard unofficially for why Speaker Anthony Rendon
> tabled the bill. Aside from my own cynicism that Rendon loves the telecom
> monopolies' money to a point that it's corrupting our democratic process,
> there were some specific reasons given. It might help us strategize how to
> approach this going forward and build the fiber infrastructure CA glaringly
> needs.
>
> One reason given was that SB1130 existed as an unfunded mandate, according
> to Rendon. Despite the fact that the CASF is already funded via fees
> assessed on our monthly ISP bills, Rendon wanted an additional funding
> mechanism attached to the bill. Are CASF taxes set to sunset in the next
> few years? This might've been what he's referencing. Would be nice to have
> a ready to go talking point to rebut this. It may already be out there, I'm
> just unaware of it.
>
> The other reason given was that the Moderate Democrat Caucus was getting
> pressure from the telecom industry to come out against it. Rendon didn't
> want to put them crosswise against one of their biggest donors, so he
> tabled it. Does anyone have a list of who's actually part of the Assembly's
> "Moderate Caucus"? Aside from the fact that they don't officially exist,
> the most I can find on them is that they elected Adam Gray (D-Merced) their
> leader in 2018. He replaced Rudy Salas (D-Bakersfield) and Jim Cooper
> (D-Elk Grove). It's like they're the Illuminati of the Assembly, lol.
>
> Right now I'm composing a letter to the editor / op-ed that could possibly
> get published in the Cerritos News, a local paper in Rendon's district. It
> would highlight his personal involvement to table the bill, and the
> overwhelming need for SB1130's standards. Does anyone on this listserv
> actually live / know someone in Rendon's district? Would be a lot better
> coming from them.
>
> I'm not sure how effective letters to the editor / op-eds will work. I
> think Rendon might be uniquely vulnerable to this pressure because he faces
> a challenger from the left, Maria Estrada, in the general election this
> year. She almost beat him in 2018, losing 54-46, but is back at it this
> year.
>
> Unfortunately, she's also a bit of a wingnut who openly admires Louis
> Farrakhan. She also gained notoriety leading bullhorn protests outside the
> CA Dem Party leaders homes during the primary this year. However, if she
> wants to use my letter to the editor / op-ed about SB1130 as ammunition, I
> feel that's Rendon's fault.
>
> Do we know if anyone else from the Assembly "Moderate Caucus" is facing a
> challenge from the left this year in November? Or even a Republican willing
> to take on telecom monopoly power? Concentrating efforts highlighting these
> [...]

*Paul Goodman* (@pauloverbite <http://twitter.com/pauloverbite>)
Technology Equity Director
The Greenlining Institute

pronouns*: he, him, his*

I may have sent this e-mail outside of office hours. I never expect a reply
outside of your office hours.

e: @paulg at greenlining.org <paulg at greenlining.org>

t:  510.898.2053
a: 360 14th Street, 2nd Floor, Oakland, CA 94612
w: greenlining.org

Building a nation where communities of color thrive and race is never a
barrier to opportunity. Sign up for our email list here
<http://eepurl.com/bPPgmD>.

<http://facebook.com/greenlining>  <http://twitter.com/greenlining>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/thegreenlininginstitute->

*This transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone. *