[CalFiber] Time sensitive: CA Legislation to expand broadband access - sign on COB Friday (Dec. 4th)

Ernesto Falcon ernesto at eff.org
Mon Nov 30 15:47:13 PST 2020

Hey folks, here is the sign on for the attached legislation. We are
going to hit the ground running on Monday next week.

Greetings,

Today is the last day of the 2020 session with no special session
happening on broadband access or many other issues. That being said, the
next session starts next week and we have legislation (attached) that
will be introduced by Senator Lena Gonzalez who has been the main Senate
lead on ending the digital divide in Sacramento. _*
*_

_*The attached legislation is a product of close work with *__*Governor
Newsom's team and Senate leadership and I ask that you review and sign
on support so we can hit the ground running on the first eligible day to
have bills introduced *__*(December 7th)*_. We need to have a strong
early showing to have a shot at passing this legislation early in 2021.

If you wish to sign on to the letter supporting the bill, go to the
following link

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfqfiQsc4XtdLfZyUpSTKLGVsfqYyDRsuOqHN9miSH_dHZ5xA/viewform?usp=sf_link
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfqfiQsc4XtdLfZyUpSTKLGVsfqYyDRsuOqHN9miSH_dHZ5xA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

As you know, the current law is extremely limited in what it can do to
help
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/02/californias-broadband-fund-ignores-fiber-and-favors-slow-dsl>
and is in need of both money and an expanded mission to include all
Californians lacking robust broadband access. If we don't pass this
bill, frankly there will be virtually no money available to do any work
on digital divide issues for 2021 let alone the future. The legislation
fixes this by expanding the grant program along with a strong emphasis
on local public infrastructure by doing the following five things.

*1) Stabilize and expand California’s Internet infrastructure program
(CASF) and allow the state to invest $100s of million on broadband
infrastructure every year until the digital divide is closed.*

*2) Enable local governments to bond finance more than $1 billion with
state support to secure long-term low interest funding to build local
infrastructure.**
*

*3) Build broadband networks that meet the Governor’s Executive Order’s
goals with an emphasis on scalability to ensure future proofing in
infrastructure financed by the state to ensure access is built to last
for the 21st century.**
*

*4) Directs support towards low-income neighborhoods that lack broadband
access.
*

*5) Expand eligibility for state support to all rural Californian
communities.**
*