[CalFiber] This is a new one from Comcast

Harold Feld hfeld at publicknowledge.org
Thu Nov 19 13:26:49 PST 2020

I had this discussion with Verizon engineers when they were deploying FIOS
back in the mid-aughts.

Me: Why are you only selling an asymmetric product?
Engineer: It's what our customers want.
Me: How do you know?
Engineer: Because it's what they buy.
Me: But you only sell an asymmetric product. Maybe they would buy a
symmetric product if you offered it.
Engineer: But they don't want symmetric, they want asymmetric.
Me: But how do you know that??!!
Engineer: It's what they buy. No one buys a symmetric product.
Me: Does anyone offer a symmetric product?
Engineer: No. Because no one wants it.

It reminded me too much of this scene from Idiocracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqIJZeeXEc

Harold Feld, Senior VP
(202) 559-1044 | @haroldfeld
Public Knowledge | @publicknowledge | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036

Support Public Knowledge's Mission <https://www.publicknowledge.org/give/>