[CalFiber] Letter to Biden FCC Transition team on abolishing digital redlining - deadline COB Nov 23rd

Dane Jasper dane.jasper at sonic.com
Wed Nov 18 21:37:46 PST 2020

So would a Cable company have to upgrade to DOCSIS 4.0 in all areas if they
did so in one? On what time-line? The devil's in the details - I'm sure
they want to upgrade everywhere, eventually. But what about plant which
cannot support it - there may be reasonable technical arguments that some
areas can be easily upgraded while others cannot.

Regarding the incumbent telco, they've got conduit in most places, but
direct buried cable in others. And conduits may be full, poles overloaded,
etc. Just don't see how you mandate deployment or uniform upgrades, unless
you are in a regulated, rate-of-return monopoly environment, the way that
electricity is today, or telecom used to be.

I'm all for building to everyone - and for example, today we are building
out fiber to the home in Oakland, and we are building "the flats" right
now, while the Oakland hills (which are higher income) are planned for a
subsequent project, timeframe TBD. Call it reverse-redlining, but really
it's driven by the complexity and cost of the project in the hills: winding
streets, more issues with poles, lower density, etc. We build where it is
most feasible, and turns out that's higher density and lower income in many
cases.

-Dane

--
Dane Jasper