[CalFiber] This is a new one from Comcast

Christopher Mitchell christopher at ilsr.org
Wed Nov 18 19:19:13 PST 2020

I remain surprised that smart people feel that the number of bits sent in
the download direction vs the number of bits sent in the upload direction
tells you something about how you value download vs upload.

Video content sends a lot of bits. Me going from 250 Mbps to a gig on
Comcast hasn't changed anything in my perception of how good my downstream
is. Not at all. But going from 10 to 40 Mbps is why I pay that bill. I
*really value* my upload and pay more for it. But every month I download
far more than I upload.

There is no reason to believe the number of bits transacted in a month in a
certain direction tells you anything about what a user values in the
service. But this is the first argument people use to justify connections
that throttle the upload.

Christopher Mitchell
Director, Community Broadband Networks
Institute for Local Self-Reliance